Monday 5 May 2014

Breaking down a sketch

Hello everyone!We're back!

I hope you all had a great holiday! I'm sure Myrto and I had!

We haven't been around much lately because our next mythological couple has proved to be more demanding than we originally thought. Its first part will surely be ready by the end of the week!

So for this week I thought I'd share the coloring process of Meleager and Atalanta. This is by no means a tutorial, just a step-by-step thing. Here it goes!




Step 1: After Myrto wrote the piece, I picked a scene that I thought that summed up this couple's relationship. (This is a first for us because usually we do things the other way around, first I draw the sketch and then Myrto writes!) After staging them, I had to pick the colors and decide where the light comes from.

Step 2: Finished Atalanta's coloring and started Meleager's. I also moved Atalanta a bit to decide where she should stand.

Step 3: Almost done with Meleager as well.

Step 4: First try on the surroundings. At first the road passed next to the rock where Meleager sits and there would be a stream on his left.


Step 5: The idea of a stream was abandoned. The road changed its direction. Now passing under Meleager's rock it leads to a dead end.

Step 6: Added more details to the forest.

Step 7: The background seemed to need a little color. I added a few flowers here and there.

Step 8: Final touches, a few more details and a bush in the front to add depth.


And that's about it. That's the way I usually work.
Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome!
    Very interesting article! I was very curious about the process of Eirini's excellent and superb work, and this post gave me short answers and hints of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and she makes it all sound very simple too, no? :-p

      Delete