Friday 28 March 2014

Mythological Couples: Hades and Persephone

Were his eyes playing tricks on him? What was Hades doing in his palace?

“Long time no see, dear brother.” Zeus greeted him. “What brings you here?”

“It’s been quite long, yes.” Hades agreed. “Listen, I’ve wanted to talk to you about something.”

“I am all ears then.” Zeus replied, his curiosity peaked. Whatever the matter, it must be quite important, if Hades was willing to leave his palace.

“I want to marry Persephone.” Hades responded straightforwardly.

He had forgotten his brother was not a man of many words.

“Persephone?” Zeus asked incredulously.

Hades nodded. “I’ve run into her a couple of weeks ago, and I have been unable to stop thinking about her ever since!”

Zeus couldn’t help but smile at his words.

“I don’t see how this is a laughing matter.” Hades responded indignantly.

“I am sorry.” Zeus said. “You’ve never mentioned anything remotely similar about anyone else before, that’s all.”

“Well?”

“I have no objections, but you’ll have to ask Demeter too.”

Hades made a face.

“Well, she’s her mother!” Zeus said defensively. “Besides, you could have just abducted Persephone and be done with it!”

Hades gave him an incredulous look, but before he had time to respond, Zeus had already sent for Demeter.

A few minutes later, Demeter showed up. Upon seeing Hades, she smiled. “What’s the occasion? We never see you these days!”

“I’ve been busy.”

Shaking her head disapprovingly, she turned to Zeus. “You’ve asked for me.”

“Yes, I have.”

“Well? I don’t have all day!”

“Hades just asked Persephone’s hand in marriage.”

She turned to Hades, her eyes blazing “Have you lost your mind? She’s young enough to be your daughter!”

“Demeter, please-” Hades pleaded.

“No!”

“Is that your final word?”

“I am never going to consent to this wedding, and that’s final!”

“Very well then.” Hades replied, trying to keep his anger under control. “It was nice seeing you both.”

Zeus and Demeter watched him leave; once alone Demeter turned to Zeus again.

“Did you really expect me to agree to this?”

“I don’t see why you wouldn’t.” Zeus replied, trying to reason with her. “She’d be Queen of the Underworld.”

“Exactly! Queen of the Underworld! She’d never see the face of earth again!”

Zeus shrugged. “Fine.”

“You didn’t agree on anything, did you?”

“I told Hades he had to ask you first.” Zeus replied diplomatically.

She gave him a pleased smile. “Good; did you need anything else?”

Zeus shook his head negatively.

He watched as Demeter turned her back to him and moved towards the door.

Unless he was terribly mistaken, they’d soon be hearing from Hades again.


In the meantime, Hades couldn’t stop thinking about what Zeus had told him. He had wanted to do things properly, but Demeter left him with no other choice.

He’d abduct Persephone and make her his wife.

Where to start looking for her though? Perhaps he could try that field where he’d lastly seen her.

But he had to pay a visit to his grandmother Gaia first; she was the only one who could help him in his plan.


I should be getting back.  Persephone thought, upon realizing that she could not either see or listen to her companions any more.

Turning to leave, her eyes caught sight of a white daffodil a few meters away; she’d never seen one this beautiful before. It would make a great addition to her flower crown.

The moment she cut the stem though, the earth shuddered; a cleft appeared and out came Hades on his chariot.

Before Persephone had time to react, he had pulled her onto his chariot, and together they disappeared to the depths of the earth, the cleft sealing behind them.


When he saw Demeter bursting through his doors, Zeus knew that Hades had followed his advice.

“What’s wrong?”

“Persephone is missing.”

“Missing? Are you certain?”

“She didn’t come home last night.”

“Are you sure she’s not meeting with anyone in secret?” Zeus teased.

“Watch your mouth!” Demeter responded angrily. “She’s not that kind of girl!”

“I was only joking.” Zeus said defensively. “We’ll find her; Hermes can assist you if you’d like.”

Demeter nodded. “Let me know if he finds her.”


Hades paused at Persephone’s door. She had not left her room since the morning of her arrival, nor had she stopped crying.

He had not expected she’d be happy about it, but her tears broke his heart.

He opened the door and peeked inside. She was curled into a ball on her bed, crying her eyes out.

Hades let out a sigh; he should not have listened to Zeus. Too late for that now.

He stepped inside and moved closer to her bed, but she didn’t seem to acknowledge his presence.

Cautiously, he took a seat next to her and ran a hand through her hair; she jumped at his touch.

“I am sorry.” He said quietly. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

She sighed, and crawled out of his reach.

“Please don’t cry.” He begged. “I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.”

His words only served to make her cry harder.

“I was desperate; I had asked your mother for your hand in marriage but she had refused. I am in love with you, what else was I supposed to do?”

When she didn’t respond, he stood and moved to the door.

He paused, contemplating something. “Just one more thing;” he added. “You don’t have to be afraid. You may be my wife now, but I won’t force you into anything.”

Persephone’s eyes widened in shock. Wiping her eyes, she sat up and turned to face him.

“But why?”

“Because I love you of course.” He replied. “If you are feeling better later on, come join me for dinner.”

Persephone nodded and Hades gave her a small smile in return.

Once alone, she stood and took a good look around her room.

This place was dreary. At least Hades wasn't as bad as she had originally thought.


“Did you know about this?”

“Pardon?”

“Hades has her; did you know?”

“Demeter, will you calm down? Who told you?

“Helios did; he abducted her while she was collecting flowers!”

“If you had accepted his offer, none of it would have happened!”

Demeter’s eyes were blazing.

“I am warning you; I want her back. Otherwise you’ll be facing the consequences.”


“Why aren’t you eating?”

“I am not feeling very hungry.” Persephone lied.

Hades nodded; he was well aware of her lie too.

It was common knowledge among both humans and gods; unless you wanted to stay, you did not eat or drink anything in the Underworld.

“And I miss my mother too.” Persephone added. “She must be beyond herself with worry.”

“I am sorry.” Hades said. “Now, tell me, how do you like it here so far?”

“It’s dreary.” Persephone replied, making him smile.

“That’s what I thought too, when I first came here. But it isn’t; not all of it at least. I’ll show you tomorrow.”

She nodded and fell silent, studying him.

Surely he was not as young as her other suitors, but still, he was very handsome. And he wasn’t as stern as he looked at first glance.

She felt heat rising to her cheeks. Her mother would never forgive such thoughts.

Her intense gaze and blazing cheeks caught his attention.

“What?” He asked curiously.

“There are a few droplets of nectar on your beard; here, let me.” She said, and reached to wipe them away.

He reached for her hand and brought it to his lips again.

“Thank you.”


When Hades saw Hermes at his door that morning, he knew that meant trouble.

Not long afterwards, he found himself standing before Zeus.

“Hermes said you were asking for me.”

Zeus nodded.

“What’s the matter?”

“Demeter wants Persephone back.”

Hades sighed.

“Listen to me; no crops are growing on earth, all because of Demeter. People are dying, 
Hades. ”

Hades lowered his head. “I will bring her back tomorrow morning then.”

“Hades-”

“Save it.” Hades replied, cutting him off.


Persephone frowned. She had never seen Hades so troubled before.

She moved next to him and took his hand.

“What’s the matter?”

He looked down at their hands and smiled.

“Zeus sent for me today; your mother has put a halt on every crop’s growth. She wants you back.”

Her eyes widened in surprise.

“What did you say?”

“That I’d bring you back to Olympus tomorrow morning; I can’t let people starve Persephone;  that would be selfish.” He elaborated.

“But Hades-”

“I thought you wanted to go back.”

“Come to my room tonight.” She replied, effectively changing the subject.

“Are you certain?” He asked searching her face.

“Of course I am; you are my husband.”


“Ready to go?” Hades asked ruefully.

Persephone shook her head negatively.

“I don’t want to go back.”

Immediately, Hades took her in his arms, allowing her to cry into his chest.

“We can’t let any more people die.” Hades said, and pressed a kiss to her temple. “I’ll go get the chariot.”


The moment she passed the threshold to Zeus’s palace, Persephone found herself engulfed into her mother’s arms.

“Did he hurt you?”

“No mother.” Persephone replied impatiently.

“Don’t worry love, you’ll never have to go back there.”

Suddenly, a thought crossed her mind; Demeter pulled back and gave Persephone a searching look. “You didn’t eat anything, did you?”

Persephone nodded. Immediately, Demeter let go of her and turned to Hades. “You forced her?”

“Of course I didn’t!” Hades roared. “I didn’t even know she had eaten anything!”

“Silence!” Zeus ordered. “Persephone, will you please tell us what happened?”

“This morning, I ate a few seeds of pomegranate.”

Hades’s jaw dropped. Had she really done that?

“But why?” Demeter interjected. “That way, you’ll always have to go back.”

Persephone lowered her eyes to the ground. “I want to go back; Mum, I love him.”

Demeter was too shocked to respond.

“Well then, you realise that Persephone will be spending some time with Hades as well.”

“No!”

“Demeter, you’ve heard her; she wants to.”

“If he hadn’t abducted her in the first place-”

“You can’t change the past!” Zeus said. “So, Persephone will be spending six months with  Demeter and six months with Hades. How does that sound?”

“Excellent!” Hades responded enthusiastically, while Demeter made a face.

“And you, child?”

Persephone gave him a smile and nodded.

“It’s settled then.” 

“Let’s go home.” Demeter said.

“I want to say goodbye to my husband first.” Persephone responded.

Demeter pursed her lips in disapproval, but nodded.

Hades pulled her aside, hoping for some privacy.

“You should have told me.” He said quietly.

“You wouldn’t let me.” She replied.

He smiled.

“This is goodbye then.”

She nodded, willing herself not to cry.

He leaned in, and pressed a chaste kiss to her mouth.

“It’s not forever.” He said playfully, making her laugh out loud.

“I love you.” She said.

Hades smiled. “I’ll see you in six months then.”


She could see him pacing outside his palace.

Was he as nervous as she felt?

He stopped pacing and looked up; their eyes met and almost immediately a wide smile formed on his face.

She couldn’t wait a minute longer; she picked up her pace and literally flew into his arms.

Hades lifted her off the ground, hugging her tightly.

Gently, he lowered her back to her feet, and pulled slightly back in order to be able to look at her properly.

“You’re here.” He said.

Persephone nodded, and playfully tugged at his beard, wordlessly inviting him for a kiss.

Laughing, he closed the distance between them, capturing her mouth with his.

Much too soon for his liking though, Persephone broke the kiss and put some distance between them.

“What’s wrong?”

“Act serious.” She said. “You have a reputation to uphold.”

With a smile, Hades wrapped an arm around her shoulders and led them inside.

“Hades?”

“Yes?”

“How would you feel for a change in decoration?”

“What do you have in mind?”

Sooo, directly from Eirini's imagination, Hades and Persephone! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Marvellous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hades would be veeeeeery pleased to know how gently you both have managed his appearance (thanks to Eirini's Beautiful sketch) and Myrto's figuration of his character....when in love!
    In adddition, Eirini's sketch makes Hades seem very handsome, lovable and thus misunderstood! I almost felt in love with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you like him!I never thought of Hades as scary or evil.

      Delete